21 July 2009

Rice Cultivation Season


Hi I'm Beam, your tour guide today!

On Sunday, my housemate asked me if I would like to see how the local doing rice cultivation at a site. I said yes and then grasped my digital camera and wore a pair of pink slippery.

During the motor ride, we had conversation. She told me that from June - August is the time of rice cultivation. After all process, it takes about 3 months until the rice fully grow.

So, as my hometown is countryside, everywhere we passed were local houses locating near flat green rice fields, fish pond and annual crops cultivation areas.

I felt so relax on the motorbike. I was falling in love with my hometown again and again. The beauty of nature and the kindness of people always conquer my heart.


Nice scene! Rice field & Mountains

After 7 minutes, we arrived at the field where people were working on.



Within one day, around 20 people could finish 1 field. I'm not sure how to measure it but you can see from the picture.





It's a culture that if one has a rice field and wants to transplant rice seedling, he or she will ask neightbors, relatives or people they know to come to help without paying. Then, next time, when one of the working group wants to do the same thing at his or her field, he or she will ask friends to help. We called this "Long Khag".

However, if there are not enough workforces, he or she might hire more people and the pay depends on the owner of the rice field. But normally, it'll be around 200 Baht per day.


Long Khag - practical authentic agricultural tradition since ancient time

When I arrived, they were pulling budding rice from the ground and hitting the rice slightly on a stick to let it drain out water and soil at their roots.


We are ready to be cultivated in the afternoon!

Other groups were dividing and tying the rice with long slight piece of bamboo (one full hand per tying) and then twisting the upper part of rice. They told me that to do this could make rice grow better.


Now the prepared rice would be placed together waiting to be cultivated in the afternoon.



"This clip video I took before going home. It was nearly lunch time and they share the snacks with friends. I was speaking to them with Northern dialect asking where they would have lunch. They told me they would go home for lunch then came back to continue in the afternoon."

Culture Tips
  • Long Khag (Helping in rice cultivation for free) is one among ancient traditions in Thai agricultural cultures which still practically remain.
  • In my hometown, the seasonal paddy rice will be started cultivating in rainny season (June - August) and have to wait for other 3 months to be ready to harvest.
  • So, now the buying price of rice is higher because there is more demand than supply.
  • Sincere sharing is still a preserved culture in my hometown.
Thank you for information from

My mom - Rice Mill Owner & Trader, Business Administration Teacher

Antie Nuan - Capable & Knowledgable Housemate & Farmers

The villagers on the interview day


No comments: