17 July 2009

Community Rice Mill (1)

You might have seen some pictures of rice mill in this blog.

Today I'll be a tour guide to tell you a story about my family's rice mill.

The Establisher

This small rice mill was established by my grandfather before I was born. My granddad was not rich and travelled to work around in Lam Pang and Chiang Rai. He had got only Primary 4 education but he had ambition to make his life better.

My grandfather in late the 20s of age

At first, he worked at a repair shop in Lam Pang as a technician. He was smart and hard-working. His boss liked him very much and he saw a capability in him, so he took my granddad with him when he had an appointment with customers.

My granddad start learning about how to deal a business and after that the boss let him meet customers alone.

However, my granddad thought that he would never be rich if he was still employee. He had to run own business.

When he collected enough money, he decided to move to somewhere to start business. As he was well-versed in technical knowledge and skills together with the idea that people ate rice as main dish, he decided to run rice mill business.

And that was the origin of our heritage from granddad. He passed away on 19 September 2006 with infection in blood. He is always my model and hero. Without him, I would not graduate from a university. And the money I spent during student years came from this business.

Current picture of the rice mill


Our rice mill is a small one not aiming in industrial production. It serves self-sufficient philosophy that the locals will bring their rice to mill with no charge. But we gain from trading rice and selling husk. There are around 3 rice mills in near area including this one.

However, if one wants to find industrial-scale productivity, he has to go to the highway about 15 k.m. from here. There are about 2-3 big rice mills there.

Next time I will write about how we run the business.

Thank you for your visiting ^-^.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The story you written make me wanna go there and see the mill. ... . .

Unknown said...

Good story