15 July 2009

First Buddhist Holy Day Within Lent Period


Today is the first Buddhist holy day within Buddhist Lent period. I've just known that the holy days during this time are considered more importantly than the normal ones.




On normal holy days, there is just one round of praying in the evening. However, today there are 3 rounds of praying. The first round starts around 6 p.m. and finishes at 7 p.m. This is the round of adults and the elderly. Most of them are lay & woman lay disciples who stay overnight at the temple (they came since morning and will go home in the next morning.) During the stay, they have to observe the Eight religious precepts.

The 8 Religious Precepts


1
st precept

«pánátipátá veramaši sikkhápadaµ samádhiyámi.»
«I will abstain from being harmful to living beings.»

2nd precept

«adinnádáná veramaši sikkhápadaµ samádhiyámi.» «I will abstain from stealing.»

3rd precept

«abrahmacariyá veramaši sikkhápadaµ samádhiyámi.» «I will abstain from all sexual practices.»

4th precept

«musávádá veramaši sikkhápadaµ samádhiyámi.» «I will abstain from uttering lies.»

5th precept

«surámeraya majjapamáda††háná veramaši sikkhápadaµ samádhiyámi.» «I will refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.»

6th precept

«vikálabhojaná veramaši sikkhápadaµ samádhiyámi.» «I will abstain from eating after noon time.»

7th precept

«nacca gíta vádita visukadassaná málá gandha vilepana dhárana mandana vibhúsana††háná veramaši sikkhápadaµ samádhiyámi.» «I will abstain from listening or playing music, songs, wearing flowers, jewellery and other ornaments.»

8th precept

«uccásayana mahásayana veramaši sikkhápadaµ samádhiyámi.» «I will refrain from lining or seating on high and luxurious places.»

Thanks information from http://www.dhammadana.org/en/dhamma/practice/8_precepts.htm

The second round is for youths. As I didn't know that they had the ritual today, I didn't prepare myself but I will surely join next time (next Buddhist holy day - one week later).

Last time I attended, I observed that all children were wearing white T-shirt & long pants (all white). The youngest was about 7 years old and the oldest was about 15. They were the children living in this village. I was the eldest! LoL

They were doing great! It's great to see young people conserving the tradition.

....And the last pray for today will start around 10 p.m. It's called "meditation" part. I'm not sure what they will do in this part. If I attend next time, I'll definitely have story to tell you.



No comments: