07 August 2009

Naem: Yummy Salted & Sour Pork Sausage


Naem (แหนม) one among popular and yummy local food

If you have a chance to come to Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai or other northern provinces, please do not miss "Naem". Personally, it's one among my most favourite food as it's sour (imaging of it now and really want to have ones) with unique taste.

The taste of Naem can be different in each area depending on the formular the locals use.

Naem can be served as main dish or side dish or even a snack for drinker (alchoholism). To eat in a healthy way, you have to cook it first by frying or grilling.

However, you can also apply and mix it with other recipe such as fried rice (so delicious...wow) or some local soup with vegetables (also another of my favourite one)

Naem is made by pork or cow meat, but pork is more popular. The meat will be mixed together with other ingredients (shredded pork skin, salt, smashed garlic and Nitrate or Nitrite compound http://dnfe5.nfe.go.th/ilp/occupation/45301/45301_1.html (Thai)) and then wrapped in a banana leaf for 2-3 days before it can be eaten.

Remarks

Naem might not be a healthy food as they put nitrate or nitrite compound to make it sour. You might get protein from pork or meat but also the substance.

However, it tastes very good and you can mix it with other ingredients to make your dish healthier. ^^ Let's have a look at the menu below;

Naem Grilled with Lemon Grass


Naem Wrapped in Wild Pepper Leaves





P.S. As the recipe I got are in Thai, if you can't find the recipe in web site, please email me at rinyabhatr@gmail.com , I'll translate it for you. (out of charge ^^)


1 comment:

Dennie said...

Hey Beam,

Never knew it was a local specialty... I got familiar with naem from S&P, isn't it the same one? I bought it once.. and fried it myself ei ei, but you know.. sweet and sour don't go together (at least not in my world) And naem is sour and I am... ^___^ Though there so many different dishes that I want to try, and with sticky rice I eat everything ;-) Good chance I will like it,

Good blog ;-) keep in touch,

Dennie